Sunday, October 17, 2010

Getting our idea rolling




Monica Brown's The Biblioburro gave us an idea. While our library grows we need a way to get the books to our readers. We are working hard. Just take a look what we have collected so far!

This little book cart will be our burro, our Alfa and Beto and the start of the library.
Big ideas start with small seeds and to get our idea rolling my mom and dad helped us get this moving bookshelf for the collection of amazing books we are growing. As our library builds we can roll it around to the different classrooms at the San Diego Cooperative Charter School.

My good friend Pierre in the photo is already a writer. He created these wonderful stories and poems about our peace project that you have to see.

I love books.
I love to read because I get to explore things that are funny and different than my world.
I love to read because it means I'm never bored.


Have you ever heard of an acrostic poem? There is some magic in it, you will see!

Love
Interesting
Beautiful
Rewarding
Awesome
Rich
You can help build our library!




Once there was a boy who planted a book.

He watered it every day.

He told his friends about it and they wanted to plant books too.

One night it rained and when the children woke up there were books sprouting from the ground.
Every book planted turned into 5!

Every kid had a book to read and they lived happily ever after.

Thanks Pierre for your poetry and beautiful writing.


Every month we get to walk about a mile to the the library nearest our school. It's an adventure and we get to check out books about things that we like! Mom and Dad take me to the downtown library too. Last visit I wanted books on Greek myths because my teacher read us some and I thought the stories were incredible. Like Jason and the Argonauts and the story of Phineas the blind man whose food was stolen by Harpies [creatures with the body of a bird and human heads]. I couldn't wait to make pictures of these stories after I heard them and here are my drawings of these big adventures.

Librarians are smart and friendly and they can tell you just where to go to find the book you want. You know what else is great about the library-you don't have to pay to look at books and can take them to your house for a few weeks. If you want to be a writer like Pierre or an artist like me the library can help you learn and have fun doing it.

If you don't know how to find a library near you there is a website that can help.
Tell your family.
http://www.publiclibraries.com/

The Association for Library Service to Children [ALSC] is part of the American Library Association and they are the world's biggest club working to make libraries better for kids.

We believe libraries and books are so important and we are ready to roll. We want to grow a library for our school because we don't have one.

PLEASE MAKE SURE TO CLICK ON OLDER POSTS IN THE LOWER RIGHT CORNER TO SEE SOME AMAZING ART AND STORIES.


No comments:

Post a Comment