Sunday, November 7, 2010

Writer Pat Mora teaches us to celebrate books.

Dear Santiago,

Growing all kinds of things is exciting. Some people like to grow vegetables like corn and tomatoes and some like to grow flowers, roses and daisies. Readers like to grow libraries, don't we? Often we grow family libraries at home. I like the idea of growing a school library very much.

Hooray for all of you!

I enjoy connecting all children to books, languages and cultures.

Hundreds of schools and libraries have Día celebrations in April. I hope your school has a good celebration. If it doesn't, start one. In the back of the BOOK FIESTA, we have all kinds of ideas for reading fun. Some places have book parades, some make book marks or their own books. Join the fun! Aren't Rafael's illustrations wonderful?

I'm a writer because I'm a reader. I feel so lucky that I grew up in a house with books. When my three children were little, I enjoyed reading them picture books. One day I thought, "Hmmm. I'd like to write a picture book too."

I tell kids, teens and grown-ups who want to be writers--read, read, read.
Pat Mora

Dear Pat,
I know that in the back of your book-Book Fiesta! you can get ideas about having a party to celebrate books at your school, library or at home. Children's Day/Book Day Celebrations are on April 30th so we should talk to our teachers and start planning. Kids can exchange books as party gifts and play games about our favorite books. Your parents and friends can have a party and decorate with books. I like this painting Dad made for Book Fiesta! where the kids are reading to the moon for our party.
At your school you could have a book festival and parade, where kids could dress in costume like characters from their favorite stories. Invite storytellers in costume or have puppet shows about books. We have a great art teacher at our school Miss Bell and she could teach us book-making at the festival with our parents. Then we could all make bookmarks about our favorite books and have an art show about them.
With our families that week we could read one book together and then talk about it at school. Maybe our school can invite an author or an illustrator who would come to our party and talk about that book. Sound's like fun doesn't it?
Thank you Pat for making such great books for us kids and showing us how to throw a big party to celebrate children and books.

Pat Mora's books have been recognized with the Americas Award and Pura Belpré Honor and you can learn more about them and Children's Day/Book Day by visiting her website. http://www.patmora.com

No comments:

Post a Comment